Thursday, September 4, 2008

molar pregnancy

I went to the doctor last week for my post-op check-up from the D&C I had for the miscarriage. Everything's going well, then I'm told to wait because the doctor needs to go over the results from the procedure with me and I'm given a huge stack of lab paperwork (for future blood tests) to take with me. She sits down with me and explains that I had a molar pregnancy. Well, I'd heard the term molar pregnancy before, but didn't really know what it was. I had a partial molar, which means that probably 2 sperm fertilized one egg, but didn't result in twins. A fetus developed, but just for a short time because the placenta overwhelmed it. The placenta started growing at a much faster rate than normal and produced a lot more pregnancy hormone. This is why I was so tired and nauseous - more so than my other pregnancies. Soooooooo, if not all of the placenta was taken out, it can still grow, becoming cancerous. Thus the reason for all of the blood tests. I have to go once a week for a month, every other week for another 2 months, then once a month after that for 6 months. The bloodwork should show my pregnancy hormone level at 0 and they want to make sure that it stays there. If it doesn't, it means it's becoming cancerous and they have to nip it in the bud. So, we can't get pregnant for at least 6 months, which is alright I guess. I've read other stories of women with this who actually had to go through chemo and can't have children again. I'd say I'm blessed that my doctor caught it. And again, God is protecting me/us through all of it. Have any of you had this happen to you? Similar experience?

No comments: